8 Jan 2012

Still in the game

Hello Blog Readers!

This is my 3rd attempt at writing this blog today after discovering it whilst trawling through my various online profiles. It's my 3rd attempt because on 2 occasions blogger decided I didn't really want the 2 or 3 pages of text I had written and simply deleted them instead of publishing them like I asked.

Anyway despite this I am once again writing to this blog as I realised I havent done so for a whole year, and when I looked back at 2009 and 2010s posts it saddened me a little to think that I would have to rely on my 'fuzzy at best' memory to remember the events of 2011.

Aside from the massive amounts of newsworthy stuff that happened in 2011, (if you want to read about that stuff you are in the wrong place this is a highly introverted and narcissistic about Me!) it was a full and action packed year, so much so that I can hardly believe I didn't blog about it.

For example in 2011:

1. I finished my first year of university (apparently we dont get a grade, but I passed, so... yay)
2. Whilst celebrating point one with my course mates I drank so much I nearly died and lost my drivers licence, which I am still yet to replace
3. I moved out of my student flat, and into a normal flat, in reading with Karys, where I am responsible for paying for everything (...yay)
4. I started/joined a new band 'Beat Magnets' with Duffield and G from 'Ricky and the Pigeons' and new friends Pearce and Smithy (who play Bass and Drums respectively)
5. I began applying for internships and placements at graphic design firms.

Its point number 5 that brought me here and to writing this blog, as a graphics student applying for internships much of what potential employers think of you is done before they meet you, and may even dictate if they want to meet you at all. So with this in mind I have been going through my online presence making sure I am available anywhere a potential employer is going to look, and that I don't look like a fool when they get there.

Currently my online arsenal consists of
- A professional and personal Tumblr
- A professional and personal Twitter
- A professional and personal Blog
- A professional website
- A linkedin profile (which is like job facebook)
- An Online portfolio

I keep track of most of this through my iPod or Phone (I want to get an iPhone as I find the iOS interface much easier and quicker to use, have to save up my pennies) and on top of this I also help manage the band's online presence as well.

My new years resolution this year is to:
- Tweet as a graphic designer twice (at least) every day I am in Uni
- Blog as a graphic designer once a week (at least)
and
- Keep on top of my personal blogs and twitters and things, I want to update this blog for instance about  once or twice a week with what I'm doing so it doesn't slip into obscurity like last year.

 until next time

...wade


No comments:

Post a Comment